Sunday, March 1, 2015

Vermont rider profile #1




Welcome to the first in a series of interviews with local riders that have involved themselves with bikepacking.

First up, we have Jeff Mullen of Richmond, VT. I have personally met him not too long ago when he spoke of his Tour Divide experience at Arts Riot in Burlington.

Without further ado, I give you Jeff.




What bikepacking have you done?  I didn’t start bikepacking until 2012 but before that I had done a lot of bike touring (self-supported either solo or with 1 or 2 other riders).  I’ve ridden across the country 3 times and have done long tours in Ireland, New Zealand and Canada (PEI and Gaspe Peninsula).  In 2012 I did my first bikepacking on a mountain bike and now much prefer that to road touring.  I’ve also done a lot of backpacking (Europe, New Zealand, western US and western Canada – besides the northeast).  When I found bikepacking it seemed like something I had been preparing for my whole life.  
What were some of your biggest trips?  On a mountain bike that would be the Tour Divide which was close to 2800 miles the year that I did it (2013).

What routes have you ridden?  With bikepacking gear I’ve also done Adventure Cycling’s Allegheny Mountain Loop (AML) in VA/WV and I’ve done the Huracan route in central FL.  Along with various routes that I’ve just thrown together in Vermont using my Vermont Gazetteer.   Trying to stay on dirt and trail as much as possible.  And last summer I rode from Ticonderago, NY to Bar Harbor, ME (and then back home to Richmond via the most direct route that I could come up with) to help the Adventure Cycling Association test their new GPS track for that section of their Northern Tour route.  That was a road ride but I used it as bikepacking training (stealth camping the whole time).
What races have you been a part of?  I’ve done 5 – the Tour Divide, the AML 400 3 times and the Huracan 300 (actually 325 miles).  They’ve all gone well and I feel fortunate to have had good luck and finished them all.  Drop-out rates for each of them has been around 30-40% or higher.
 
What (future) plans do you have?  I have big dreams for this coming summer.  I’m becoming obsessed with the idea of trying to knock off all of the Adirondack 46’ers (the high peaks over 4000’ high) at once and bikepacking between trail heads (Somewhat similar - on a much smaller scale - to what Justin Spumoni did in Colorado last summer when he tackled the 56 14k’ers which also required 1600 miles of cycling).  Then my wife Leslie and I are planning on doing the Idaho Hot Springs route in late August and I’m thinking of staying out there to do the Smoke ‘n Fire 420 (also in ID) and possibly the Black Hills Expedition race in South Dakota on the drive home.  But I might be trying to bite off more than I can chew.  I would also like to take a run on David Tremblay’s new XVT route along with routes that AML friends have developed in the Adirondacks and Michigan.  At some point I also hope to do routes/races in Colorado, Arizona and Utah.

Who with?  Besides Leslie, no partners lined up and I’m happy to go solo.  But good partners are also fun.  Any takers for the Adirondack hike/bike trip?
What/how do you pack?  I have Revelate Design bags – a full frame bag, a seat bag and a sling/harness for the handle bars.  Along with a top tube bag and a feedbag.  I also carry a small backpack or hydration pack but I’m considering getting away from that.  Weight on your back makes for more risk of saddle sores (mine were bad in the Tour Divide).  I either carry a small tent or a small bivy sack depending on the distance and the expected weather.  Small sleeping bag, sleeping pad, small amount of extra clothes to make sure that I can stay dry/warm, bike tools and a couple tubes, food/water and my phone.  When racing I also carry a Spot tracker, GPS and an IPod (for when things get really hard).
How do you eat?  It has been mainly gas station food in races and better stores and restaurants when available.  Not ideal eating conditions and in the TD I lost probably 15-20 pounds.  For the Idaho Hot Springs ride we’ll bring a stove and backpacking meals if we have room to carry them.  And hopefully buy fresh food to cook along the way.

Special gear/style of packing?  Nothing special.  I’ve tried the tubeless route (with mixed results) and hope to get a dyno hub soon for lighting and for charging the phone, etc.  I’m not a gear head at all but am trying to stay up on what is available and am trying to improve my mechanical skills.
Do you have a race strategy?  I’m still pretty new to the bikepacking racing and it is amazing how much you learn each time (about your gear, your mind/body, etc.).  For races of 400 miles or less I’ve learned that I can handle that distance without sleep.  The best strategy seems to be to minimize the amount of time stopped if you want to place well.

How do you train?  I don’t do any specific bikepacking training that often.  I have done a few long multi day rides (including the above mentioned ride to Maine).  I’ve always done a lot of xc skiing, hiking, biking, etc. so I just make sure that I’m doing something 5-6 days a week.
Off season considerations?  At the moment I’ve been off the bike since 10/14 when I fell while riding the Mud Pond trails in Williston and broke my elbow (the piece with the triceps attached broke off – called a triceps avulsion).  But I never bike much in the winter anyway though a Fat bike is likely in my future at some point.  I think xc skiing is great cross training as is hiking (especially if you’re planning on doing routes with a lot of hike a bike).  I do get on an indoor trainer a couple days a week during the middle of the winter when it is hard to get outside after work.

How much riding/ how much work/ family time etc.?  Lately work is taking up too much time.  I do contract IT work and have been lucky enough to get good blocks of time off between gigs.  This year I hope to be off from either May or June through September).  Fortunately my wife Leslie keeps our health benefits.  No kids so we only have to worry about the 2 of us starving when we spend too much money on trips, etc.

What do you like about it (bikepacking)... why do you do it?  At the moment I absolutely love bikepacking.  I love the thought of just going off on multi day adventures where you can make more miles than you can backpacking.  On the racing side I love the combination of competition and adventure.  Races where you’re being handed water and food and there is medical staff on hand seems kind of wimpy after getting into self-supported racing.  Though I do still love xc ski racing and hope to get back into that more.

Anything strange...seen, done or happened while out there?  Not that I can think of off the top of my head.


Well, there you have it. Personally reading through this after the fact has gotten me quite excited for the upcoming season. Hopefully you have found it to be informative and in fact motivating to get out there and see what adventure you can find. I will leave you with a few picture that Jeff sent in.






No comments:

Post a Comment