Sunday, March 8, 2015

Vermont rider profile #2


This week we bring to you, George Lapierre. I know him from the local seen at Catamount Outdoor Center in Williston, VT and I have been on an overnight (S24O) with him just this passing winter. I can tell you some more but I will let the interview speak for itself. Thank you George for sharing your thoughts.



What bikepacking have you done?
I have done a lot of bikepacking in New England, starting with riding home (to VT) from a school I worked at in central NH, and then a bunch of overnights in VT and Colorado. 

What were some of your biggest trips?
My biggest trip was the CTR in Colorado, the biggest trip in the East was riding from my house to a campground in ME to hang out with my family.  

What routes have you ridden?
The Colorado trail is the only route I have completed, and part of the xVT trail.  I can't wait to finish that one!

What races have you been a part of?
The CTR was a "race"  I would call it more communal suffering.  

What (future) plans do you have?
I want to ride the xVT and the Adirondack Trail Race this year, and I have to go back to Colorado again.  It is incredible. 

Whom with?
Anyone who doesn't mind my snoring and steady diet of sardines.  

What/how do you pack?
I try to go as light as I can, focusing on staying dry and warm.  I usually ride with a camelbak, so that leaves plenty of room in the frame/seat bags for food and beverages.  

How do you eat?
I eat whatever is available and seems appetizing.  I got burned by some microwave burritos last time I attempted the CTR and now I shy away from those.  I find actually (restaurant/prepared) food works best.  

Special gear/style of packing?
I guess I choose gear that is going to last but is also light. 

Do you have a race strategy?
Nope.  Finishing is hard enough!

How do you train?
Lots of skiing in the winter, and when the skiing isn't good, I have a fatbike.  Hiking with a fatbike is very similiar to HAB with a loaded cross-country bike. 

Any off season considerations?
I just love to ski, so I call it training when I am out hunting for powder.  

How much riding/how much work/family time, etc.?
My wife runs a lot, so I get plenty of time to get out a bike.  I have no set plan for riding, I just go and do it because it is fun.  

What do you like about it (bikepacking) ..... Why do you do it?
It is awesome to see how far a bike can take you.  My first CTR was mind-blowing.  Pushing for hours, cursing the bike only to crest the ridge and be blown away by mountain ridges to horizon.  And the 30 minute downhills got my heart going as well.  

Anything strange ..... Seen, done, or happened while out there?
Nothing too crazy, thankfully.  There was the one time I interrupted a couple having a romantic moment in a National Forest parking lot, but I try to forget that as much as I can.  

A typical bikepacking spread





No comments:

Post a Comment