Sunday, March 15, 2015

Vermont rider profile #3


This week we have a good friend of mine, Mike Beganyi. I have ridden quite a bit with him. If there is one thing I'm certain of, Mike is a pretty darn good navigator and route planner. Attention to detail seems to be second nature to him.

Here is the interview with him:


What bikepacking have you done?
 I started experimenting with bikepacking with my road / gravel setup back in 2008 or 2009, getting some custom bags from Epic Designs (now Revelate) for my Ti all road rig. What started as an experiment to lightening my gear and experimenting with overnight trips on gravel and dirt roads for quick get aways has turned into somewhat of an obsession, although I don't get out as much as I want. I didn't start mixing in single track, forest roads and more remote trails and roads until about 3 years ago. 

What were some of your biggest trips?
My longest trip was an overnight though the ADKs. I rode 2 back to back centuries from Burlington through the ADKs to the Utica, NY area to visit family. This was a mix of pavement, dirt road, forest road, and some single and double track. Temps and weather were all over the map, and the terrain followed - ups, downs, fast and slow sections. 

My hardest trip mentally and physically was shorter. It was a late fall fatbike trip from the Mad River valley, crossed the Greens from the VT100 side to high above into Silver Lake to overnight (and it snowed!). It was an unreal adventure, with a mix of pretty much everything from hike a bike, a fast paved descent on my Pugsley down Brandon Gap, single track night riding, beaver pond skirting, handing loaded fat bikes over a creek to my riding partners, and riding into an early season snow squall crossing back over the mountains on day 2, completely soaked and chilled to the bone. It was good fun and so much work!

What routes have you ridden?
I create my own routes, but have enjoyed adventuring in the Moosamaloo area, Groton State Forest, Cotton Brook and Little River, and the ADKs. I have sketches to combine some of these into longer trips, and I have eyes on a Maine route I got from another bikepacker online.

What races have you been a part of?
I look forward to a bikepacking event in my future - but I have not competed in any bikepacking events or races. I got my start in long distance riding when I lived in the Brattleboro area and started riding ever increasing (and insane) randonneuring events. These included 2-600k events as well as starting and organizing a brevet series that was run out of Burlington. I completed a 24 hour Flèche team event and  my longest day on a bike was a 400k lap around Vermont in 25 hours. Mentally riding brevets transfers nicely to bikepacking. And getting off the road is a bonus.

What (future) plans do you have?
Before kids and deciding to incorporate my business (being self employed has its advantages and its drawbacks!) I was eying the Tour Divide. I still dream of the big ride - but I am also keen to have shorter, local adventures as I improve my fitness and refine my gear and technique. 

I'd love to complete the XVT route (or whatever it ends up being called), as well as add a packraft to my quiver for adventuring. I have some ideas for places in the ADKs that might be interesting to ride in and paddle out. 

The ADK Trail Race could be fun depending on the route, but it will be a couple of more years of focused riding to get back into what I consider reasonable long distance / brevet shape - at least in terms of being 'competitive' - or racing, whatever that might mean.

Whom with?
I think the usually suspects know who they are.... ;)

What/how do you pack?
I have a Revelate frame bag system. For fast and (relatively light) I can do without a backpack - but depending on the season and the weather and the goal of the trip I can add in fork cages and Anything Bags or a Wingnut pack on my back. 

How do you eat?
When I was riding brevets and working to qualify for BMB or PBP I was into gels and liquid food on the bike. My body got tired of that pretty quick - so after burnout I worked to understand what I can eat / forage from typical roadside stores. Lots of junk food unfortunately - but as I mainly do trips for fun / exploring I can tailor what I do carry from home to suit the mood of the trip - typically a backpacking meal for dinner, hot coffee and oatmeal for breakfast, and whatever I can get down during the day that I forage roadside or carry with me. 

If I make an attempt to go as fast (as I can personally go) and travel light on the XVT all bets would be off though and I would likely simplify my kit and eating strategy.

Special gear/style of packing?
I fell in love with the 29+ platform when I test rode a Surly Krampus, then I went out and put a Rohloff on it. Its been tested on some short day rides and an overnight, but I'm thrilled that I (theoretically) have 1 less thing to worry about while riding. 

I'm in a constant state of gear refinement. Slowly simplifying kit and what I carry. I'm a big fan of dyno lighting (from my brevet days) - so I'm working out charging and lighting schemes - including 3d printing some parts for a switch housing that will make life just a bit simpler on the trail. 

Do you have a race strategy?
I'd approach things the same way I did when I was riding brevets... go out slow, work harder in the second half. Never burn matches you don't have, and try to eat and sleep before you really need to. But I can't see myself lining up for a race anytime soon - unless it is a solo, self supported effort. No one needs to care but me, and I'm good with that. 

My wife has called me out though - I'm now known for my 'propensity for suffering'. I'm not fast, but persistent and stubborn.

How do you train?
I've run the gamut of self coaching, hiring an online service, having a local coach to completely burning out. Right now I'm trying to focus on getting a big endurance base back under me and then I'll likely have to revisit the pain cave of intervals and hill climbs to redlining and failure.

I can say that once we added 2 kids (3 and 7) to the mix, along with trying to focus on my work, all notions of 'training' sort of disappeared.  When things are clicking and the wife and I are both in town and balanced - I'm usually up at 4:30 am hitting up my local loop before the family gets up, and then logging longer miles on Sundays. Weekends are usually used as a recharge / explore time. There's been a lot less of focused 'training' in my life the last few years and far more 'get out and play' time.

I do look forward to a time when the kiddos are either out there with me making me feel really old, or are into their own stuff so I can focus a bit more on me time.

Any off season considerations?
Off season? Whats that?

I've been trying to get better at tele skiing. As well as getting out on the fatbike. The rollers are setup and when I can focus I might get on them once or twice a week. 

I'd love to be able to run a 10k again. But man my body hates running, unless theres a good reason to do it... like survival I guess.

I really want to get skilled at winter overland travel - be it on skis or fatbike or whatever. I've flirted with winter bike trips - still don't have the gear or knowledge to go really cold. So, thats going to be my focus for the next couple of cold seasons - getting used to being in the cold, and getting good at staying alive and somewhat comfortable. 

How much riding/how much work/family time, etc.?
Ha. The wife and I have a pretty good balance. Jen comes from a marathon / tri background and has been focusing on trail running at Catamount. So we understand what getting out and exercising means to each other... but beyond that its general triage any given day. I would guess that when things are clicking along and work is steady I get about 3-4 hours in during the week. Weekends can be anywhere from overnight trips to just sneaking in 3-4 hours on a Sunday. Saturday's are usually daddy days - so during the late spring through fall I can usually convince the girls to let me take them to town on the cargo bike. Those days are precious - not really a workout, but some quality time outside and active together.

My work is pretty steady - but it can get crazy. I'm self employed, and run my own LLC, but I still have deadlines, taxes to pay, and client expectations to meet. I can sometimes massage that to conform with trips or rides... but often times its just a crazy mess of juggling the phone and email - sometimes while in the woods if I have a signal. There are days I wish I punched a clock and accrued vacation time!

What do you like about it (bikepacking) ..... Why do you do it?
I love getting off the beaten path and exploring under my own power. And I'm sort of a map / terrain / connect the dots geek, as well as someone who likes exploring personal and mental limits. Turning that next bend, coming over that next ridge, finding that hidden pond, riding further than before - all that stuff makes me go.

Anything strange ..... Seen, done, or happened while out there's?
I surprised some sledders way out in the ADKs on my fatbike. They were wondering what the guy wearing the bike helmet was doing 8 or more miles from the nearest road in the middle of winter. They did like the big tires - but I think they liked their throttles more. 

The first time I did what I would call a real backpacking trip I was surprised at how well my body did after the first day, after I got some rest and then real food in the morning. Its unreal what we can do when we want to or need to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment