Sunday, March 22, 2015

Vermont rider profile #4



It's that time again boys and girls. This week we have David Tremblay. I am not sure how many of you know him but he was one of the driving forces behind the idea to connect as much dirt and trail to create a route that will cover the whole state of Vermont. Now, here we are with a solid plan to make it happen.

Dave didn't send me any pictures to use for this posting, so I took it upon myself to scrub the interwebs for some images. It wasn't hard to come up with some for me to use. Here we go:



How did you start bikepacking?
As a kid, my Dad would ride with us to the beach - it was 25 miles each way.  I had a 3spd, my little brother did it on a single speed.  My Dad called this a bike-hike.  He was a big fan of Tom Cuthbertson.  In college I started doing longer rides: home (100 miles) or to visit my girlfriend in (NYC 170 miles)  I did some pannier style touring and then in 2007 start training for PBP - riding through the night, riding 600km in one shot, from there I wanted to get off the road, away from cars and that led me to bikepacking.

What were some of your biggest trips?
It is going to be hard to beat Tour Divide as a big trip, but I have been mapping and exploring a ride from NYC to St John's Newfoundland  on dirt - it should be about 2,400 miles.

What races have you been a part of?
I have been mountain bike racing of some variation since 1989. I did Paris Brest Paris in 2007,  (not really bikepacking)  and the Canadian Ski Marathon ( also not bikepacking but pretty darn close!)  raced Tour Divide in 2010 and Trans North Georgia in 2011.

What (future) plans do you have?
I need to finish TNGa and the Colorado Trail is still on my list.   I have to ride my So to NO Vt border route in one shot still - it is only 300 miles but it takes me down every time.

Whom with?
You!  Anyone who wants to go!

What/how do you pack?
I've been trying to go lighter and more minimal.. I finally bought a scale and have started weighing all the junk I don't really need to bring with me.

How do you eat?
I have tried a bunch of different things from no-clue, to no food, to all Hammer products... now I am back to real food.

Special gear/style of packing?
I'll try anything.

Do you have a race strategy?
pick an efficient line, coast over 20 mph,  finish, and finish happy.

How do you train?
Start the year with a Fleche ride and end the year with the Circumburke ride as much as possible in between.

Any off season considerations?
snowboard and XFit with a little fatbiking - try to avoid rollers.

How much riding/how much work/family time, etc.?
this is tricky for me.  I trained for TD while my daughter was pitching on her little league team.  I may have not been in the top shape going into TD but I did not miss any games.

What do you like about it (bikepacking) ..... Why do you do it?
I like the amount of World you can cover in a day on a bike.  I like riding in the wee dark hours - it is quiet and serene and sprinkled with random insomniacs.

Anything strange ..... Seen, done, or happened while out there's?
I have yet to ride through the night without something strange happening or meeting some interesting character.   Riding through the night in New Mexico with little sleep, things like a dog with a shaved head look exactly like  a chupacabra!





1 comment: